Our mission is to help people everywhere support their gut health because a happy gut improves more than just digestion; it improves your quality of life!
Gut health plays a critical role in everything from our digestion and immune system to our mood and skin health.
The gut is home to a fascinating environment called the microbiome. The microbiome is a bustling community of microorganisms - also known as microbes - that live in our digestive system, primarily in the large intestine.
In a happy, healthy gut, there is a balance of many different types of microbes. This balance is maintained by:
- What you eat,
- How you manage stress,
- How much (or how little) you exercise,
- And the many environmental factors you face daily.
When this balance is disrupted, it can lead to miserable health complications; tummy troubles are often the root cause of many other health challenges.
“All disease begins in the gut.”
- Frequent abdominal pain, discomfort, sour tummy feeling
- Bloating or a sense of hardness in your gut
- Constipation or diarrhea (or both!)
- Excessive gas
- Food intolerances
- Fatigue, low energy levels, sluggishness
- Skin issues like acne, eczema, or rosacea
- Depression, anxiety, mood swings
- Brain fog and difficulty concentrating
If you have checked off some (or all) of these boxes, we are so glad you’re here! Let’s explore a few ways to get back on track toward optimal gut health.
Get More Fiber (Bet you knew we’d say that!)
Fiber is not just for people of a certain age.
FIBER IS FOR EVERYONE!
Adults, children, and seniors all benefit from living a fiber-rich life!
Fiber is a powerful weapon in the fight against obesity, diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular disease! Fiber can help regulate blood sugar levels, lower cholesterol levels, and support the gut microbiome by giving it the food it needs to thrive!
Stay Hydrated: Drink up for gut health!
Dehydration can lead to decreased gut motility and intestinal discomfort, among other things! (Check out our post about hydration here!)
- Adequate hydration helps maintain the fluid balance in your gut, promoting proper digestion and elimination.
- It also helps to support a healthy environment for the good-for-you-gut bacteria to live and flourish.
- Staying hydrated also helps to keep stools from becoming too hard (youch!) and prevents constipation.
Avoid Ultra-processed Food
Manufactured, processed foods notoriously lack FIBER! They are typically high in added sugars, refined carbohydrates, and artificial ingredients, negatively impacting gut health.
If your diet mainly consists of prepackaged, manufactured foods, you are among the 95% of people needing more fiber, and you’re likely living with poor gut health. (Find out if you’re fiber deficient here!)
Want to reduce (or eliminate!) ultra-process food from your life? Yay!! Try this:
EAT MORE PLANTS! Eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, legumes, and nuts & seeds
Buy whole grains. Choose whole-grain bread, pasta, and rice instead of their refined counterparts.
Plan meals and snacks in advance. Pre-plan and prep meals and snacks made with whole, unprocessed ingredients. (Check out our 5-Step Meal Prep here!)
- Shop the perimeter of the grocery store! This is where fresh produce, dairy, and meats are typically located, and there are fewer ultra-processed foods.
When you take care of your gut, you’ll find that many aspects of your life improve! So, what are the signs of a happy, healthy gut?
A happy gut will SHOW YOU with these signs:
- Little to no bloating or gas
- No abdominal pain or discomfort
- Regular, easy, and quick bowel movements
- Ability to digest a variety of foods
- Improved sleep quality
- Normal appetite levels
- Healthy skin and hair
- Improved mental health and mood stability
- Mental clarity
- Balanced blood sugars
- Improved energy levels and endurance
If that list sounds pretty good to you, welcome to your gut health journey! We hope this week’s blog gives you a solid jumping-off point to improving your gut health AND your quality of life!
Live... just better.®